butterflies 6/17

Clay Taylor CTaylor at swarovskioptik.com
Wed Jun 18 09:37:37 EDT 2003

Hi all -

    I stopped in the afternoon at the Horse Hill Rd., Madison, powerline cut, looking for Arrowhead Spiketail and Great Spangled Fritillary.   Got the butterfly, missed the dragonfly.   One very fresh frit was down in Frit Alley (there will be dozens of them in a week or so), which is East of the road, down the powerlines about 300 yards.

    Overall, the butterflies were great, with lots of skippers, and the natural muzak in the background included Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Pileated Woodpecker, Scarlet Tanager, Indigo Bunting, and a pair of Blue-winged Warblers that about knocked me down when I spisshed once!

Great Spangled Fritillary - 1
Pecks' Skipper - too many to count
Tawny-edged Skipper - 6
Hoary Edge - 1 (gorgeous)
Northern Cloudywing - 1
Indian Skipper - 1
Long Dash - 1
Hobomok Skippper - about 6, including a "Pocahontas" female
Zabulon Skipper - 1 my FOTY
Least Skipper - 2 in the grasses along the flooded tire ruts

Oh yes, I forgot to list European Skipper in my report from East Haddam on 6/16.

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT
ctaylor at att.net