ID unknown lep

Michael Janavel mjanavel at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 24 15:45:23 EDT 2003

I am hoping someone can help me id a butterfly I found today. I was in a store area (concrete, almost no greenery) when I spotted a butterfly fluttering. When it landed in the street I caught it in a cup and took it home to release into my garden.

Black wings about 2" fully spread (long but not very wide) with white chevron running the full width front and back with some white markings. Body about 3/4" long. I hoped to get a picture but it was gone before I could get the camera.

I checked my guide and the closest I found was the golden-banded skipper but the dimensions are wrong and the chevron is white not yellow.

Michael Janavel
Staten Island (NYC)