From Newington - 6/29

Roy Zartarian rzartarian at snet.net
Sun Jun 29 20:00:29 EDT 2003

Things here are finally picking up. The afternoon's dog walk into the
small I-291 right of way field produced first-of-years:
Tawny edged skipper
European skipper
Eastern tailed blue

Peck's skippers and the ubiquitous Cabbage Whites were about as well.

Also, in the kitchen a couple of days ago was a Large Yellow Underwing
moth (noctua pronuba) whose recent appearance in the US has been amply
documented by John Himmelman both on line and in print.  The species
has been a frequent yard visitor, generally flying out from in front of
lawn mower, since I'd started paying attention to leps but I hadn't
been able to identify it until I got some digipix and went to work on
it.

The not-so-great pix are at:

Roy