CBA Field Trip - 5/25/03

Clay Taylor CTaylor at swarovskioptik.com
Sun May 25 22:40:56 EDT 2003

Hi all -

    When I arrived at the Old Lyme commuter parking lot at 8:45am, the skies were brighter than any I had seen for the past few days, and I was hopeful that we would get some sunshine for the Conn. Butterfly Association field trip to Lyme / East Haddam.   By 9:15, the only participant was Lauren Parmelee from RI, so we struck out in search of butterflies and birds.

    Griswold Point in Old Lyme brought Clouded Sulphurs, Eastern Tailed Blue, American Copper, and American Lady, along with breeding plumage Black-bellied Plovers, Dunlin, and Red Knots, plus about 125 Brant and lots of Ospreys.

    Onward to Pleasant Valley in Lyme, where the butterflies were more numerous, but the warbler list was about the same, so just for the heck of it I have tried to pair up the butterflies with an appropriate parulid -

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail - Yellow Warbler
Cabbage White - Black & White Warbler
Clouded Sulphur - Prairie Warbler
American Copper - American Redstart
Spring Azure - Cerulean Warbler
Eastern Tailed-Blue - Blue-winged Warbler
Pearl Crescent - Ovenbird
American Lady - Pine Warbler
Little Wood-Satyr (my first of the year) - Louisiana Waterthrush
Dusted Skipper (  "   "   "    "  ) - Worm-eating Warbler

The Dusted Skipper was incredibly fresh, and the look at the worm-eating was pretty spectacular, too.

    Too bad we didn't see a Monarch to pair up with a  those Scarlet Tanagers (well, not exactly a color match, but both are fun to see), and duckywings were a no-show, either.

    Actually, I did see a Juvenal's Duskywing on Thursday at the Wal-Mart in Lisbon, CT, but unfortunately it was plastered to the grille of a white Chevy pickup truck.   Ouch.

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT