Haddam Meadows butterflies 9/27/03

Clay Taylor CTaylor at worldnet.att.net
Sat Sep 27 22:25:28 EDT 2003

All -

    Went to Haddam Meadows State Park late this afternoon with my sister, who is visiting from FL.  There was a dog show in progress at the upper field, but the State has left the area to the right (West of the road by the little skating pond) unmowed for the season, so there are lots of grasses, some goldenrod, and lots of flowering asters (or maybe fleabanes - I didn't stop to key them out).   At 5:15 pm, the clouds were building, and the light was fading, but we did see some butterflies -

Cabbage White - 1
Clouded Sulphur - 10+
American Copper - 1
BRONZE COPPER - 1
Eastern Tailed-blue - 1
Pearl Crescent - 2
Monarch - 3

    The one Bronze Copper was in the grasses between the pond and the road - it was doing a lot of flying, and didn't sit very long in any one place.  I only got one photo, of OK quality.  Its hind wings were a little tattered, but it was otherwise in good shape (see below).   As if flew around us, it zigged just as a gust of wind hit, and we lost track of it.   After searching for another 15 minutes and finding nothing, we gave up.

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT
ctaylor at att.net