Valley Service Rd., North Haven

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sun Aug 29 13:11:31 EDT 2004

Sunday 8/29- A visit to the above referenced site turned up the following
list of butterflies:

Spicebush Swallowtail (1)
Cabbage White (14)
Clouded Sulphur (1)
Orange Sulphur (1)
Eastern Tailed Blue (9)
Great Spangled Fritillary (2)
Pearl Crescent (3)
Milbert's Tortoiseshell (1)
Red-spotted Purple (1)
Silver-spotted Skipper (4)
Least Skipper (2)
Leonard's Skipper (1) (My first of the year, and almost the first one for
the state for 2004 but for the fact that Rich Chyinski found one  yesterday)
Peck's Skipper (3)

To look for the Leonard's Skipper, go north on Valley Service Rd., go
through the barrier and look for the gas pipeline right-of-way crossing the  road.
The Leonard's Skipper was nectaring on Joe Pye Weed on the left side  of the
road on the pipeline right-of-way.  To look for the Milbert's  Tortoiseshell,
continue north on Valley Service Rd. and look for the next dirt  road going to
the left.  Follow the dirt road towards the river and look  for the massive
stands of Joe Pye Weed on the left.  The Milbert's  Tortoiseshell was nectaring
on the Joe Pye Weed.

A general note.  Joe Pye Weed is a favorite nectar plant for Leonard's
Skipper.  I went down this particular dirt road because I knew about the  Joe Pye
Weed and figured it would be a good spot to look for the skipper.   While I
couldn't find the Leonard's Skipper there, the Milbert's Tortoiseshell  was quite
a pleasant surprise.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford