Black Swallowtails

RChyinski at aol.com RChyinski at aol.com
Mon Jun 28 08:57:22 EDT 2004

Info on the Black Swallowtails I have been raising. To save the Dill plants
in the garden I collected most of the caterpillars shortly after they emerged
from their eggs and placed them in a terrarium on live Dill and Fennel
plants.  As the caterpillars grew to full size I placed dry sticks in the terrarium
to  give them a place to attach to and form chrysalis. The attached photo
shows the  difference in color of the chrysalis between the ones on the sticks and
the ones  on the live plants.
I have not read much about the ability of caterpillars to detect the color
of the object they are using to attach to and to adjust their color to match
that color and was wondering if this is common in all butterfly species.

Rich Chyinski