Black Swallowtails

jhimmel at comcast.net jhimmel at comcast.net
Mon Jun 28 09:22:59 EDT 2004

Hi Richard - I have photos documenting the same phenomenon with Spicebush
Swallowtails.  A few years ago, I seperated a brood of caterpillars to hedge
the bet of more of them making it.  One group was in an area where there
were a lot of dead leaves around and their chrysalis' ended up matching them
dead-on.  The other group was surrounded by green, which was ultimately the
color of their chyrsalis'.

So, there's 2 species - both swallowtails.  No doubt there are others!

John

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
John Himmelman
Killingworth, CT
jhimmel at comcast.net

"Discovering Moths, Nighttime Jewels in Your Own Yard"
Go to: http://booksandnature.homestead.com/DiscoveringMothspage.html

Visit my other websites at:
  www.johnhimmelman.com
  www.connecticutmoths.com