West Rock, 1 May 2004

Lawrence F. Gall lawrence.gall at yale.edu
Sun May 2 09:45:35 EDT 2004

The CBA field trip to West Rock on Saturday May 1 was
fun and successful, with 12 species on the wing!

Black Swallowtail (1-2) -(Papilio polyxenes)
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (4) - (Papilio glaucus)
Cabbage White (3) - (Pieris rapae)
Falcate Orangetip (34+) - (Anthocharis midea)
Juniper Hairstreak (6+) - (Callophrys grynea)
Brown Elfin (1) - (Callophrys augustinus)
Eastern Pine Elfin (1) - (Callophrys niphon)
Eastern Tailed Blue (2) - (Everes comyntas)
Spring Azure (6) - (Celastrina ladon)
Mourning Cloak (2) - (Nymphalis antiopa)
American Lady (2) - (Vanessa virginiensis)
Juvenal's Duskywing (1) - (Erynnis juvenalis)

Several female Orangetips were about, including
a mating pair; forms marginata and lucia were
among the Azures; good stands of Columbine
and Prickly Pear Cactus; and a vigorous aerial
tussle between two Peregrine Falcons.  The
area just north of the overlook picnic area
was generally the most diverse/productive.

Several of the dozen walk participants were
interested in reading the illustrated article on
West Rock published this spring in North American
Butterflies, so I have it as a PDF (11 pp., circa
3 mB). Please email me off list if you'd like to
have a copy forwarded.

Regards,

Larry