Butterflies - 6/07

Clay Taylor ctaylor at swarovskioptik.com
Thu Jun 9 10:07:42 EDT 2005

All -

    A few quick stops at local spots -

Wapowog WMA in East Hampton -
Dusted Skipper - 2
Wild Indigo Dusky - lots
a female Spicebush Swallowtail ovipositing

Horse Hill Road Powerlines, Westbrook
FOTY Indian Skipper - 2 (good photos)
FOTY Least Skipper - 3
Pearl Crescent - 10+
Peck's Skipper - 8
Tawny-edged Skipper - 10+ (including some very well-marked, dark-looking females that threw me for a loop)
Wild Indigo Dusky - 5
Hobomok Skipper  - 3
Azure sp. -1
ET Blue - 2
Note - CL&P did some herbiciding (last fall?), so some areas were pretty sparse.   I was disappointed to find no Cloudywings, Sliver-spotted Skippers or Hoary Edges.  I hope to visit again on Friday to see if they have emerged or were casualties.   Also, the deep ruts that are usually filled with water were pretty dry, so no C. obliqua were around.

Clay