sightings, field day

ButterflyPR at comcast.net ButterflyPR at comcast.net
Sun Jun 12 14:39:53 EDT 2005

Less than a week until field day and plant sale!!
Saturday June 18 at Kellogg Environmental Center in Derby

As I spent time in my garden this week, I realized how many of my plants have come from CBA plant sales--anise hyssop, coreopsis, aristolochia--which finally made "pipes" this year!!  So be sure to come early for the best selection!

A brief overview of the day:

9 AM:  donuts & other baked goods, plant sale begins
9:45-10:45 Rick Cech speaks on "Butterflies and Their Plants"
11-12:  learn to use your digital camera to take great butterfly photos with Clay Taylor
12-12:30 lunch break (bring your own lunch & drinks)
12:30-1:30  choice of field trips!  Clay's digital photo safari or the camera-optional trip to look for butterflies & day-flying moths around the Center's 400 acres of fields!
1:30-2:15ish: view the photos from the photo safari!

Be sure to visit www.ctbutterfly.org for more details and directions, or visit http://dep.state.ct.us/educ/kellogg/kec.htm for more detailed directions.

Oh--did I mention sightings?  I just saw a tiger swallowtail fly by.  Also a cabbage white in the back yard.  This week I've seen little wood satyrs and an American Lady.  Those were all in my yard in Chester.  Yesterday, I saw my first Monarch of the year, about two blocks north of the beach in Westbrook.

Hope to see you all on Saturday--rain or shine!!

Diane Adams