Phyciodes in CT

Dave Wagner dwagner at uconnvm.uconn.edu
Tue Mar 29 17:57:48 EST 2005

FW: RI BUTTERFLY FLIGHT CHART from Harry Pavulaan may also be of value for
CT/Ma butterfliersClay,

I took all my crescents to Don Lafontaine last summer and he identified both
Phyciodes cocyta and P. tharos from Connecticut.  And, of course, a bunch
that didn't sort well one way or the other.  Interpretation of the
mitochondrial sequence data for northeastern Phyciodes is far from straight
forward--haplotypes are floating over species boundaries and the
two/three/four species are not always distinct (to my eye).  For now, I am
happy just to call them all tharos species complex.  To my mind they are not
behaving as good species here.  I could be wrong...not much of a fan of
single-character taxonomy...antennal club color does not a species make.