West Rock Ridge St. Park

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sun May 1 17:49:27 EDT 2005

Sunday, 5/1- Once the sun came out this afternoon (finally!), I went down  to
West Rock Ridge St. Park in New Haven and walked the top of the ridge down to
 the southern overlook. I found the following butterflies:

Black Swallowtail (1)
Falcate Orangetip (18) (16 males and 2 females)
Brown Elfin (2+)
Eastern Pine Elfin (1)
Juniper Hairstreak (2+)
White M Hairstreak (1)
Spring Azure (3) (2 form marginata, 1 form undetermined)
American Lady (1)
Painted Lady (1)
Juvenal's Duskywing (1)

Most of the butterflies were found near the south overlook and the adjacent
picnic area. The Juniper Hairstreaks were roosting in the very tops of the
red cedars next to the overturned table in that picnic area, the same  place I
found them last year.  The White M Hairstreak was roosting in the  same grove
of red cedars, but was not as high up. Look for the bright blue upper  side on
this species.  Spring Azures normally are not going to be  flying high up in
red cedars so look carefully at any blue butterflies  flying  up in the cedars.
 To find the Eastern Pine Elfin, take the  road leading to the Judge's Cave
and look for the rock outcropping on  the right with 3 tall pine trees behind
it.  The Pine Elfin was  sunning itself in the vicinity of the rocky
outcropping.  Since  this is the second year in a row  I found the Elfin at this spot,
this appears to be another case where there is a small population living in
the  nearby pine trees.  Brown Elfins were present on the trail along  the west
side of the top of the ridge.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford