Records of Clouded Skipper in CT

Lawrence F. Gall lawrence.gall at yale.edu
Sun Nov 13 13:16:27 EST 2005

Hi Lenny,

Here is a passage from the CT Butterfly Atlas text about what was
found regarding Lerema accius (this is from a section entitled
Accidentals and False Records). The Opler et al. (2003) reference
is the b'flies of N. Am. web site.

At long last, the completed Atlas was given to the D.E.P.
publications group at the end of September, so the hope is
that it will hatch and fly in 2006.

Best,

Larry

- - - - -

Clouded Skipper - Lerema accius (J. E. Smith)

CBAP did not find any Connecticut specimens of the Clouded Skipper,
although Opler et al. (2003) record it for New Haven and Hartford
Counties, and Scudder (1889:[ii] p. 1770) stated the species: "has
been repeatedly taken in Southern New England in Farmington (Norton),
Guilford (Mus. Yale College), and New Haven, Conn. (Smith), and has
even been found in Massachusetts."

At 12:01 AM 11/13/2005, Epmanshell at aol.com wrote:

>Hi Everybody,
>
>According to the excellent reference book, Butterflies of the East
>Coast-An Observers Guide by Rich Cech & Guy Tudor, the southern
>vagrant, Clouded Skipper (Lerema accius), has been reported from
>western CT (2005:262).  However, I personally am not aware of any
>confirmed records of this species for the state.
>
>If anyone on the list is aware of records of this species for the
>state, I request they provide this information to me. I need this
>information for a project I am working on for the Connecticut
>Butterfly Association.
>
>Sincerely yours,
>
>Lenny Brown

Lawrence F. Gall, Ph.D.