Gaint Swallowtail??

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Sun Sep 4 19:26:44 EDT 2005

Thanks, Harry...didn't know...

Alex

________________________________

From: hpazures at aol.com [mailto:hpazures at aol.com]
Sent: Sun 9/4/2005 1:20 PM
To: Grkovich, Alex; RChyinski at aol.com; ctleps-l at lists.yale.edu
Subject: Re: Gaint Swallowtail??

Rich, Alex:

Both Giant and Black Swallowtails oviposit, feed and mature on Rue.  In the Washington D.C. area, people have reported this to be a frequent occurrence by butterfly gardeners.  I've only had Black Swallowtails oviposit on it and have reared them on it.  A friend used to raise Giants on it.

Black Swallowtail caterpillars are black with a white saddle when they are young.  When they get older, they develop the stripe and spot pattern.  Giant Swallowtail caterpillars look like bird droppings from birth to chrysalis.

Harry Pavulaan