more Heptacodium leps

biobrand at comcast.net biobrand at comcast.net
Thu Sep 8 21:39:14 EDT 2005

I checked out the Heptacodium (Seven Sons Flower) plants again Wednesday (9/7) at Broken Arrow off Evergreen Ave. in Hamden and found not only White-M Hairstreak but also Red-banded Hairstreak! Other new nectaring species were both ladies and monarchs bringing the total species seen nectaring on this particular plant to 14. Great plant!

Also, for those of you looking for Slug caterpillars (Limacodidae) I found Yellow-shouldered Slug ( Lithacodes fasciola) and Crowned Slug (Isa textula) in Stafford last Sunday. Keep flipping leaves!

Other caterpillars seen recently include: Small-eyed Sphinx on Cherry, Wild Indigo Duskywings destroying my Baptisias (yeh!) Silver-spotted Skipper on locust and Spicebush Swallowtails on Spicebush.

Fun times!
Andy