Fwd: friday leps

Anthony Zemba AZemba at MaguireGroup.com
Tue Sep 13 09:33:27 EDT 2005

Clethra alnifolia = also known as coast white alder and more commonly
here in New England as sweet pepper-bush. A native shrub that also
benefits our neotropical migrant passerine birds as it is used for
nesting cover.

Anthony

Anthony J. Zemba
Senior Environmental Scientist/Ecologist
Planning and Environmental Compliance
Maguire Group Inc.
One Court Street
New Britain, CT 06051
p: (860) 224-9141 ext. 236
f: (860) 224-9147
Azemba at MaguireGroup.com

>>> <biobrand at comcast.net> 09/03 9:15 AM >>>
At Broken Arrow Nursery in Hamden off Evergreen Ave. the following
species were seen:

Fiery Skipper   1 male
Silver-spotted Skipper
Eastern tailed Blue
Cabbage White
Tawny-edged Skipper
Black Swallowtail
American Copper
Gray Hairstreak
Common Sootywing
Pearl Crescent
Orange Sulphur

all of the above species ( with the exception of the sulphur)were
observed nectaring on Heptacodium miconioides or Seven Sons Flower. This
plant is a small tree or large shrub growing to 15-20'. It has clusters
of fragrant white flowers now (late August -early September) when few
other shrubs are flowering. Leps seem to adore them. Other ornamental
features are red/maroon fruit (not berry-like) and exfoliating white
bark. Last year Red-banded Hairstreaks were found nectaring on this as
well.

Also, on Wednesday 8/31, I found a worn White-M Hairstreak at Broken
Arrow nectaring on Clethra alnifolia or Summersweet.

Watch for those late season vagrants.
Andy