dragonfly, butterflies (drag'n butts?)

jhimmel at comcast.net jhimmel at comcast.net
Sun Apr 30 19:50:01 EDT 2006

Out and about today with Rich Chyinski and the Lemmons (Salem and Lyme), and
we came across our first dragonfly of the season.  It was a baskettail
(Epitheca) - couldn't be sure which one - very teneral.

The Grapevine Epimenises were everywhere, and in good numbers.  We watched
as one oviposited in the buds of a grapevine.  They are very approachable
when doing this.  She pushes a single egg at the base of each bud as she
works down the vine.  I have never seen so many numbers in so many places
before!  And I look for these things every year.  What a treat!

John

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
John Himmelman
Killingworth, CT
jhimmel at comcast.net

"Discovering Amphibians, Frogs and Salamanders of the Northeast"
Go to: https://secure.downeast.com/deb/product_info.php/products_id/1171

Visit my other websites at:
  www.johnhimmelman.com
  www.connecticutmoths.com