7/31 sightings

ButterflyPR at comcast.net ButterflyPR at comcast.net
Tue Aug 1 08:18:32 EDT 2006

Stopped by Haddam Meadows on a quest for newer milkweed than I've currently got growing at home.  We around 20 caterpillars at the moment, mostly first instars.  We also released an adult monarch yesterday, a female.  Anyway, while at Haddam Meadows, I did find an egg and a late instar caterpillar that I chose not to collect, as well as 7-8 adult Monarchs.  Also a couple Tiger Swallowtails and a Red Spotted Purple.

On the way home, I saw several butterflies flying at a small beach on Cedar Lake in Chester.  Stopped to take a look--7-8 Tiger Swallowtails alternately puddling and flying, as well as two Spicebush Swallowtails, one Question Mark and a Cabbage White.

Diane