Lighthouse Point Park Butterflies

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sun Aug 13 08:58:31 EDT 2006

Saturday, August 13th- Bill Banks, Dori Sosensky and I visited Lighthouse
Point Park in New Haven where we found a total of 16 species of  butterflies.
The list for the day is as follows:

Black Swallowtail (2)
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (3)
Spicebush Swallowtail (1)
Cabbage White (5)
Clouded Sulphur (3)
Orange Sulphur (10)
Red-banded Haistreak (1) ( This individual was nectaring  on the buddleia in
the butterfly garden.  Bill Banks took photographs of  it.  Anyone interested
in seeing the photos should contact him directly at  _semismart9 at aol.com_
(mailto:semismart9 at aol.com) .)
Gray Hairstreak (2)
Eastern Tailed Blue (3)
Variegated Fritillary (1)
Red Admiral (1)
Common Buckeye (2)
Monarch (30)
Silver-spotted Skipper (4)
Tawny-edged Skipper (1)
Broad-winged Skipper (40)

We also had two species of moths, Celery Looper Moth and a Polyphemus  Moth.

The fact that John Himmelman had a Red-banded Hairstreak up in  Killingworth
the same day suggests that Red-banded Hairstreak is staging a mini  invasion
in the state.  People should be looking for this species near the  coast,
especially in areas with Winged Sumac (Rhus copallina), the  larval food plant.

Sincerely yours,

Lenny Brown
Wallingford