Southern immigrants

Lemmon lemmon at snet.net
Thu Aug 17 16:46:16 EDT 2006

Hi Folks,

  I too am fasinated with what causes these cycles of southern species.  A few years ago we were following the movement of Red Admirals moving north.  I usually have at least one brood on my stinging neetles every year, and American Ladies wiping out my pussytoes.  This year I have only seen one Red Admiral and a couple of ladies and had no breeding in the yard.  Of course Monarchs are everywhere.  Eggs are so prodigious that they cover common and tuberosa milkweeds.  Eggs are being laid on all surfaces of the leaves including the pods.  I have raised and released 22 and am raising 12 more inside.  Have 20 or so in all stages still out on the milkweed.

  Carol Lemmon

Epmanshell at aol.com wrote:
      Hi Folks,

  As John Himmelman observed, 2006 is indeed proving to be the year of the Red-banded Hairstreak in southeastern New York, northern New Jersey and here in CT.

  That is very evident if you look at the "Recent Sightings" page on the NABA  web site.

  John is also correct in observing that in prior years, there have been incursions of various southern species.  In recent years, there is sufficient data in the CBA field notes to identify these incursions.

  I personally am very interested in trying to understand what accounted for these incursions.

  Lenny Brown
  Wallingford