reminder, etc.

ButterflyPR at comcast.net ButterflyPR at comcast.net
Sat Aug 19 19:57:16 EDT 2006

I got my CBA newsletter today--did you?

It lists the final outdoor events for 2006:

Next Saturday, August 26, 10 AM  Lenny Brown leads a field trip to Jared Elliot Preserve and Van Wilgen's Garden Center.  It should be a great trip, but I can't overemphasize the need to dress appropriately--there are a LOT of brambles in Jared Elliot!!

Saturday September 2 (rain date Sept 3), 10 AM Rich Chyinski leads a trip to Haley Farms in Groton--should be a good time to see migrants and late season species!

Just listed--Saturday Sept 16 (rain date Sept 17)--9 AM - noon (or later, depending on the number of Monarchs flying)--CBA sponsored Monarch Tagging at Hammonasset--judging by the number of Monarchs currently at Hammo, it should be a great day!

[Also--CBA is one of several sponsors for the Lighthouse Point Park Migration Festival on September 23 in East Haven.  The full schedule was just listed in the CBA newsletter.]

As always, more info/directions available at www.ctbutterfly.org.  Also, remember that all CBA events are free and open to the public--bring your friends!

Speaking of Hammo, to add to my Thursday 8/17 list, I also saw one or two Great Spangled Fritillaries.

Today at Hammo--not as many species as Thursday, but still lots of Monarchs!  Did see:
Cabbage White
Orange Sulphur
Broadwing Skipper
Tiger Swallowtail
American(?) Lady
Snowberry Clearwing Moth
also heard report of Buckeye

At home in Chester
4 Tiger Swallowtails
3 Monarchs (okay, two of them we just released)
and 1 Monarch larva outdoors

We were also very excited yesterday to find that our Spicebush Swallowtail eggs had hatched.  Looking for any advice about how to raise them at this time of year!

Thanks,
Diane