CBA picnic reminder (and gypsys)

jhimmel at comcast.net jhimmel at comcast.net
Thu Jul 6 10:13:55 EDT 2006

Hi Diane - While the gypsy moths are eclosing, it's NOTHING compared to what
we were in store for had we not gotten all this rain earlier in the season.
You've probably noticed all the dead larvae folded back on themselves all
over the trees.  The rain activated a fungus that parasitises the gyspy
larvae as they migrate up and down the trees.  Had this been another dry
season, like last year, the trees throughout our area would have been
seriously defoliated.

Having said that, though, the larvae are pretty much done now, so it sure
would be nice if it stopped raining....!

John
www.connecticutmoths.com

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
John Himmelman
Killingworth, CT
jhimmel at comcast.net

"Discovering Amphibians, Frogs and Salamanders of the Northeast"
Go to: https://secure.downeast.com/deb/product_info.php/products_id/1171

Visit my other websites at:
  www.johnhimmelman.com
  www.connecticutmoths.com