Elfins

biobrand at comcast.net biobrand at comcast.net
Sat Jun 17 19:17:15 EDT 2006

While evaluating Mountain Laurel (Kalmia latifolia) hybrids and removing some spent flowers, I discovered why I have been seeing Brown Elfins at the nursery (Broken Arrow Nursery in Hamden) for the past few years. I found 6 elfin larvae feeding on the fading flower clusters. Blueberries are often listed as the major food plant but other members of the heath family (Ericaceae) are sometimes listed. Mt. Laurel is in the heath family.
Also, several Common Sootywing larvae on Chenopodium as well as adults are still flying around the nursery off Evergreen Ave.

Other larval notes from my yard on Brooksvale Ave. in Hamden: Viceroy and Dreamy Duskywing on Populus.

Today, before the clouds, a fresh Great Spangled Fritillary made an appearance at the nursery off Evergreen Ave.

Andy Brand