Echo Farm SP, Moodus, Saturday 6/17

Clay Taylor ctaylor at worldnet.att.net
Sun Jun 18 05:44:31 EDT 2006

Hi All -

I was hoping for good morning sunlight for photography, but instead got a bright overcast.   No matter.    As previously reported, the Baltimore Checkerspots were flying, mostly along the hillside leading from the Upper Pond to the Lower Pond.   There was at least one larger, less-blackish one that was very sedentary, leading me to guess that it might be a newly-emerged female.   However, it was not being courted by the other ones, so I can't say for sure.   Overall, there were 20+ flying in the area.   Gorgeous!

Big Daddy, the adult male Orchard Oriole, was singing constantly in the trees by the Upper Pond - looking to start a second brood, possibly?

Oh yes, I neglected to mention that I also spotted a Least Skipper on Friday.  There were 15-20 today.   European Skippers were everywhere - 'nuff said.    There were a few Peck Skippers, including a very fresh-looking female, but no Tawny-edged were seen.   I also spotted my first Southern Cloudywing of the year, in the sandy, open area midway between the entrance barway and the Upper Pond.

Other leps included 1 Monarch, 1 Red-spotted Purple, Clouded Sulphur, Orange Sulphur, a fresh Queston Mark, tons of Cabbage Whites out in the field by the Lower Overlook, and a really ratty-looking female Black Swallowtail.

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT
ctaylor at att.net