Haddam Meadows

ButterflyPR at comcast.net ButterflyPR at comcast.net
Mon Jun 26 20:06:45 EDT 2006

Got deferred at the blood bank, had an hour to kill, so I took a run up to Haddam Meadows State Park on Route 154 in Haddam.  My primary objective was to look for Monarch eggs--I'm hoping to raise them with my Brownie troop this year.  Well, after an hour of searching, I found 1 egg, which I brought home.  However, I also saw:

-one light orange skipper--not a European, perhaps a Delaware?
-several adult Monarchs
-several Cabbage Whites
-one sulphur--didn't get close enough to tell which one
-several Silver Spotted Skippers
-several American Coppers
-one Azure, flying up into the trees
-a few Tiger Swallowtails
-another mystery skipper, dark with some white spots--best guess: Little Glassywing.  I did photograph it (didn't have my book with me).
-one dark butterfly that I only caught a quick glimpse of--might have been a sootywing or duskywing
-One anglewing on the milkweed that took off as I was getting my camera out
-and one American Lady

And I really wished that I had a dragonfly book with me--they were everywhere!

Diane

p.s.  a friend had a large moth on her porch in Chester.  My first guess was Cecropia, but she showed me a photo, and now I think it might have been Polyphemus.  She's going to email me the photo.  Anyone want to check it for me when it arrives?