Copperheads at Hanging Hills etc.???

Anthony Zemba AZemba at MaguireGroup.com
Mon May 1 09:31:03 EDT 2006

Hi ALex
How are you? It has been a while. Hope you are well.
Yes, they are quite common on the traprock ridges in Central
Connecticut - especially in areas of talus slopes associated with Mt.
Beseck, Mt, Higby, and the hanging hills. Here is one that my colleague
and I photographed. We came across it hanging out in a stormwater
outfall splash pad as we were wading through a dense stand of phragmites
adjacent to route 66 at the foot of Mt. Higby. Unfortunately, I think
the timber rattlers are long gone.

Hope all is well.
Anthony

Anthony J. Zemba
Senior Environmental Scientist/Ecologist
Planning and Environmental Compliance
Maguire Group Inc.
One Court Street
New Britain, CT 06051
p: (860) 224-9141 ext. 236
f: (860) 224-9147
Azemba at MaguireGroup.com

>>> "Grkovich, Alex" <agrkovich at tmpeng.com> 5/1/2006 9:19 AM >>>
By the way, while up on the ridge, an old fellow who was up there told
me that copperheads are very common on these trap rock ridges, and
that
at the Hanging Hills, they are "all over the place"...Now, based upon
the habitat and the knowledge that S CT is within the range of the
Northern Copperhead, I would not doubt their presence there, but still
have not seen them...

Anyone want to verify the accuracy of the old man's statement? And
what
about the Timber Rattler?

Maybe they're more plentiful further down from the ridgetop...and I do
spend much of my time on the ridge...

Alex