Monarch caterpillar

Emmayct at cs.com Emmayct at cs.com
Mon Oct 9 19:02:28 EDT 2006

Today while watching numerous monarchs on asters, I noticed a late instar
Monarch caterpillar on milkweed which was growing wild in the aster patch.

I thought my cat rearing days were over for this year as my last BST is just
going into chrysalis.

I brought him home to raise. It'll be interesting to see if it matures and
when. And also if it's been parasitized.

BTW, some may remember me collecting Cloudless sulphur eggs several weeks
ago.
Sadly no caterpillars were to come of those eggs. I watched daily and it
seemed as if the eggs had hatched but I never found the little caterpillars. I
know sulphur caterpillars are hard to see when little so I've held onto the
leaves, but I guess something went awry.
Maryann