Northern Monarchs

Gloria Augeri gaugeri at wesleyan.edu
Wed Oct 25 18:24:04 EDT 2006

Last Thursday (10/19/2006) as I drove north on Interstate 91 (heading
to Pittsburg, NH/Connecticut Lakes), in the area of the turnoff or
Routes 2 & 93, I saw several Monarchs heading sw. Unfortunately, they
were flying and being blown (a windy day) down into traffic level.
There was snow in The Great North Woods the next day so I hope they
made it to shelter.

The weekend before that I was on  Chebeague Island (Maine) and again
saw many Monarchs feeding. They did not seem to be flying south.

Does anyone know what the latest dates usually are for these
creatures to make it to Mexico/Florida/California? I have been to
Morelia, Mexico twice in the last few years (Feb) and there I know
they don't begin to move until it is sunny and near 70F.

Finally, my friend at Trenton, FL (near Gainesville) is going to the
Tallahassee area because she learned there are many Monarchs there.
Does anyone know if they actually overwinter in that area?

Thanks,
Gloria