Northern Monarchs

Grkovich, Alex agrkovich at tmpeng.com
Thu Oct 26 08:30:51 EDT 2006

Harry, Gloria...

Here's another thing about this "remarkable insect" (meaning the
Monarch, of course)...MassLeps folks reported at least one Monarch late
this summer in Mass. with extensive white on the dorsal FW and along the
veins of the same wings...This is suggestive of the Monarch subspecies
(or distinct species???) of the Caribbean (forget the name, but Tony
Moore has collected it)...and is also suggestive of Hawaiian
Monarchs...Is this perhaps an indication that some transfer of genetic
material between the Craibbean forms and our migrators to Florida (and
south?) has been going on???

Alex