Mourning Cloaks

Peary Stafford pstaff at pipeline.com
Fri Apr 20 16:10:50 EDT 2007

Today at the Macricostas Preserve of Steep Rock I had at least 12
Mourning Cloaks "hilltopping" along a 100 yard stretch of old logging
road at the top of the ridge.  They were very aggressive, forming
groups of 2, 3 or in one case 4 individuals dogfighting up and up
until they reached the top of the trees, at which point they would
split apart and return to their territories.  They were interested in
me as well sometimes approaching so closely I could hear their wingbeats.