Field trip report

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sun Jul 15 08:49:01 EDT 2007

On Saturday, 7/14, 11 butterfliers joined me on the field trip to Flaherty
Field Trial Area in East Windsor.  Thanks to the excellent weather, we were
able to find a total of 34 species of butterflies, 30 species by lunch and an
additional 4 species on the follow-up walk in the afternoon.  The list  for the
day is as follows:

Black Swallowtail (12)
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (4) (The individuals we got a close look at were
all recently emerged.)
Cabbage White (15)
Clouded Sulphur (45)
Orange Sulphur (16)
American Copper (27)
Coral Hairstreak (2) (Finding this species was a surprise; it is probably a
new species for Flaherty.)
Eastern Tailed Blue (5)
Great Spangled Fritillary (35)
Aphrodite Fritillary (1)
Silver-bordered Fritillary (66) (A very high count;  probably a record high
count for this species in the northeast US.)
Pearl Crescent (1,000)
Baltimore Checkerspot (3)
Mourning Cloak (1)
Milbert's Tortoiseshell (1)  (Probably a new species  for Flaherty.)
American Lady (6)
Painted Lady (1)
Red Admiral (9)
Red-spotted purple (2)
Viceroy (52)
Appalachian Brown (1)
Little Wood Satyr II (42)
Common Ringlet (1) (Probably freshly emerged)
Common Wood Nymph (420)
Monarch (8) (Including 2 caterpillars on a swamp milkweed)
Silver-spotted Skipper (2)
Horace's Duskywing (14) (Including one mating pair and a  female laying eggs
on a 2 ft. high oak sapling.)
Wild Indigo Duskywing (1) (Freshly emerged)
Peck's Skipper (2) (1 very worn; the other freshly emerged)
Northern Broken Dash (7)
Little Glassywing (19)
Delaware Skipper (3)
Black Dash (1)