Black Swallowtail eggs

biobrand at comcast.net biobrand at comcast.net
Fri Jun 1 21:41:49 EDT 2007

On 5/31 I observed a female Black Swallowtail lay a few eggs on Coreopsis verticillata 'Moonbeam' at Broken Arrow Nursery in Hamden. I collected 3 eggs from the plant as I have never seen this plant listed as a hostplant. Coreopsis is in the Asteraceae family while common hostplants are in the Apiaceae or Umbelliferae and Rutaceae. I'm guesing that they will not survive but we shall see......

Also many Common Sootywings seen today at Broken Arrow along with a Brown Elfin.

Andy Brand