Chester-Killingworth

ButterflyPR at comcast.net ButterflyPR at comcast.net
Sat Jun 2 13:08:28 EDT 2007

On the way to a CT Trails Day event, we saw at least half a dozen Tiger Swallowtails and a Cabbage White on Rte 148 in Chester between Rte 145 and the Inn at Chester.

In Killingworth, at the hiking/geocaching/letterboxing event, we saw John Himmelman (oh wait, he's not a lep!), Tiger Swallowtail, Spicebush Swallowtail, several Little Wood Satyrs, and several small skippers, which John agreed were probably Peck's.  There was also a slightly larger skipper that looked similar to Peck's but really didn't fly the same way.  I saw another one later in my yard and realized another difference--it rested with its wings closed (at least while I was looking at it!)  Thoughts on what it might have been?  Size between Peck's and Broadwing but similar markings?

Back in Chester, I saw the unidentified skipper already mentioned, several small skippers, one of which landed on the columbine long enough for me to see that it was a Peck's, a Spicebush Swallowtail (or two), an American Lady, a Silver-Spotted Skipper, a Duskywing sp., and of course, a Cabbage White.

I think that's everything...

Diane