baltimore checkerspots

Emmayct at cs.com Emmayct at cs.com
Sat Jun 23 23:51:28 EDT 2007

I'm not surprised to see two reports of Baltos today.

I reared my own brood this spring from overwintering caterpillars that I
collected last August. They fed on plantain that grows in a big clump at the edge
of my vegggie garden. I also have some turtlehead .

My first emerged on Sun June 17.  I 've had at least 5 more emerge since then
from caterpillars that I brought in just prior to pupation.

At one count I had about 130 caterpillars in early June crawling around,
looking to pupate.

If these newly emerged adults mate and lay eggs, I'll consider this project a
success.

Maryann in Niantic