Slugging on West Rock

biobrand at comcast.net biobrand at comcast.net
Sun Sep 2 21:32:32 EDT 2007

While hiking along the northern part of Baldwin Drive on top of West Rock I decided to flip a few leaves looking for Slug caterpillars in the family Limacodidae. These caterpillars come in a amazing range of shapes and colors! I found four species.On cherry I found 3 Smaller Parasa (Parasa chloris); 3 Crowned Slug (Isa textula); 1 Skiff Moth (Prolimacodes badia) and  on oak I'm pretty sure 1 Red-crossed Button Slug (Tortricidia pallida) but it is very small. Great photos of these can be found in Dave Wagner's book "Caterpillars of Eastern North America" starting on page 35.
A few years ago CBA had a field trip this time of year to Chatfield Hollow State Park looking for these cool critters. We may have to set up another one for 2008.

Andy Brand
Hamden