butterflies and developers

RChyinski at aol.com RChyinski at aol.com
Wed Apr 9 07:26:31 EDT 2008

My post about the Henry's Elfin survey has prompted quiet a few responses
and I am interested in what the consensus is about doing the survey.

Recap: A developer has proposed, and I think received preliminary approval
to build houses on land in East Lyme. (Having been away for 2 months I am just
now getting up to date on this). When I left the approval had been delayed.
Someone (DEP, local boards, neighborhood opposition ??) determined that a
population of a CT listed butterfly, Henry's Elfin, was nearby and requested
that a survey be done on the proposed development land to see if the  butterfly
existed there.

The question is; should a butterflier/environmentalist do the survey for  the
developer in hopes of finding the butterfly and either delaying or at least
making it more difficult, expensive for the developer to proceed or just say
no  to the request for the survey?

I am not  familiar with CT law on listed species vs. development  but I do
not think a listed species can completely stop a development from  proceeding.

I am a bit biased on this. I own the land where the Henry's is,  which is
about 1/4 mile from the development land,  and I am most  definitely not in favor
of the housing development.
Comments??

Rich Chyinski