Hackberry Trees

htg1523 at att.net htg1523 at att.net
Sat Aug 2 10:07:49 EDT 2008

8/2

I saw the American Snout on the Hackberry Tree in my yard  again yesterday,,, the third time I have seen it, with a couple of days in between sightings.  Most likly it has been here all the time because if I spend any time there looking I usually see it.
  Yesterday I sat in a lawn chair watching for a couple of hours between 2 and 4:30 and it was always in the tree but sometimes I would not see any movement for  30 minutes or more.  During this time I discovered one of the regular perches that it returns to often.
  Besides the Snout and the Tawny Emperor that laid the eggs a few days ago, Mourning Cloaks have laid eggs two years, 2005 and 2006 and I have seen Question Marks, a few years, this year included, flying around and landing in these trees too often to be just passing by.
  As my grandkids in Calif would say, "That hackberry is a hecka good tree"

Also,   I had my first Painted Lady of the year, on buddleia, nearby here in Old Lyme..

Hank Golet