Guilford butterfly sightings

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Mon Aug 18 20:58:26 EDT 2008

On Monday, 8/18, I visited a couple of the sites I will be covering  on
Saturday's field trip.

I started out a Chaffinch Island Park where I found a total of 8 species of
butterflies including an American Snout and a very fresh Hackberry  Emperor.

Both the Snout and the Emperor were found in their traditional site.

While the American Snout was very visible once it finally showed up in the
Hackberry trees, the Hackberry Emperor was very difficult to find.  The
Hackberry Emperor was found by another butterflier at 1:45 PM, just as I was
arriving at the park.  It took me 1 1/2 hours to find it myself. (I can be
persistent.)

On the way home, I stopped at Jared Elliot Preserve where I found a total  of
11 species of butterflies including an American Snout that was nectaring on
the New York Ironweed.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford

deal here.