Moths Today

Steve Walter SWalter at nyc.rr.com
Mon Feb 18 18:39:02 EST 2008

This is not quite in CT (Queens, NY), but close enough to share the signs of spring. I looked in the Alley Park woodlands for moths today -- the method is to look at a lot of tree trunks -- and found a suprising 3 species.

Toothed Phigalia (2) -- I've found this as early as Feb. 14 in the past.
Fall Cankerworm Moth (2 on tree trunks and probably 2 flying through the woods). This is the latest I've seen this species except for one winter that was persistently cold, not allowing them to do their thing until March.
Spring Cankerworm Moth (1) -- The first time I've seen this before March, but I see these mainly at lights and I don't start blacklighting until March.

And if that isn't enough, my cat got in on the act, finding a moth in the house last night. It was alive when she found it, but I won't blame its demise on her. It was so worn that I can't tell what species it is. And I wonder how it even got into the house. I sure don't keep any windows open this time of year.

Steve Walter
Bayside, NY