Brooksvale Park, Hamden

biobrand at comcast.net biobrand at comcast.net
Sun Jul 6 20:56:21 EDT 2008

July 6 Brooksvale Park, Hamden

I spent a couple of hours this afternoon roaming around the park's fields and observed the following:

Cabbage White 2
Orange Sulphur 1
American Copper 10
CORAL HAIRSTREAK OVER 60!! They were everywhere! Milkweed flowers had up to seven at a time. I have never seen so many in one location. They were nectaring on common mikweed, black-eyed susan, yarrow, mountain mint, and butterflyweed. I also observed a female "walk" down the stem of a 2 foot tall cherry tree and lay an egg in the dead grass at the tree base.

Banded Hairstreak 5
Eastern Tailed Blue 3
Great Spangled Fritillary 18
Question Mark 1
Common Buckeye 1
Red-spotted Purple 1
Appalachian Brown 1
Little Wood Satyr 1
Common Wood Nymph 10
Silver-spotted Skipper 13
Northern Broken Dash 9
Little Glassywing 43
Dun Skipper 3

Although a pest of peach trees, I saw a beautiful female Peachtree borer moth ovipositing on wild cherry.

Just down the road in a patch of milkweed, I found a fresh Delaware Skipper.

Quite a place to spend two hours.

Andy Brand