Warblers vs. Butterflies @ Wapowog WMA

Clay Taylor ctaylor at att.net
Mon May 5 21:43:32 EDT 2008

All -

I arrived home from Seattle this morning, and took advantage of the gorgeous day to pop into Wapowog WMA in East Hampton to see what was out.   Since I spent about 8 days in CT in April, virtually all the new arrivals were FOTY for me.   So, I decided to see which were more numerous - warblers or butterflies.

Yeah, it's no Yankees vs. Red Sox, but I'm easily amused.

On the feathered ledger -
Blue-winged Warbler
Black & White Warbler
Worm-eating Warbler
American Redstart
Tricolored Waterthrush
Ovenbird
Black-throated Green Warbler
Pine Warbler

Too bad Blue-gray Gnatcatcher and Yellow-throated Vireo don't count.

The scaly-winged ones -
Cabbage White (4)
Clouded Sulfur (1)
Spring Azure about 6 (marginata - 1)
Eastern-tailed Blue (10+)
American Lady (1)
Tiger Swallowtail (1)
Spicebush Swallowtail (1)
Juvenal's Duskywing (6)
BROWN ELFIN (1) - this was my first for CT, and I was flabbergasted to see it.  I saw an elfin land on the ground about 8 feet away, and I was expecting to see Pine Elfin when I got it in the binocs, but the hindwings were dark with a darker crescent in the middle - no spotting, frosting or checkers visible.   It flew and I never got to see it again.   Question - I have my CT Bfly Atlas packed up, but were there any Brown Elfin records East of the CT River?

With the addition of the elfin,

Thuuu-uuuuu-uuuuuhhhhhh Butterflies Win, the Butterflies Win!!!.....

Clay Taylor
Moodus, CT
ctaylor at att.net