Butterfly sightings- Mansfield Hollow Dam, Windham

Epmanshell at aol.com Epmanshell at aol.com
Sun May 25 17:06:27 EDT 2008

On Sunday, 5/25 I visited the wooded area next to Mansfield Hollow Dam in
Windham, just north of  Windham Airport where I found the  following:

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (1)
Cabbage White (1)
Clouded Sulphur (2)
Juniper Hairstreak (1)
Frosted Elfin (2)
Eastern Pine Elfin (1)
"Northern" Azure (Celastrina lucia) (1) very worn lucia  color form

Azure sp. (2) (violacea color form) Since neither of these  individuals was
found in the vicinity of cherry trees, it is unclear to me  whether these
individuals were Cherry Gall Azures or early Summer Azures.   In prior years, the
violacea type azures stayed in close proximity to cherry  trees and I was more
comfortable calling them Cherry Gall Azures.

Silver-bordered Fritillary (1)-  My first of the year  and quite a surprise.
There are violets in bloom and wet areas in the  woods, but this species was
a most unexpected find. It was nectaring on low bush  blueberry.

Pearl Crescent (1)
Mourning Cloak (1)
Dreamy Duskywing (1)
Sleepy Duskywing (3) My first of the year
Juvenal's Duskywing (6)

Cobweb Skipper (4+)-My first of the year and only the  second report of the
species for the year.  Rich Chyinski reported it from  a nearby area a few days
ago.  This species is being rarely reported in the  state and apparently
disappeared from a number of sites where it has  historically been found, so if
anyone else has recent sightings of this species,  I would be interested in
hearing of them.

Tawny-edged Skipper (1)- My first of the year.  I thought it  would be the
first one reported for the state for the year, only to see that  Clay Taylor
beat me with his report of this species earlier today.

Most species were found nectaring on the low bush blueberry that is  now in
bloom.

Lenny Brown
Wallingford

Tyler Florence" on AOL Food.