Bloomfield Community Gardens/Reservoir # 3, 9/7

ctredbird2 at comcast.net ctredbird2 at comcast.net
Sun Sep 7 19:17:21 EDT 2008

Birders on this list, especially thos in the Hartford area, will probably know this location because it has hosted several Northern Shrikes in the winter.  It's part of my Christmas Count circle and I've birded it a bunch before, but never looked for butterflies there or birded it in warm weatrher before.  I don't know if any of the local butterflyers cover this spot at all.  I was impressed with it.  There is a large, wet uncut meadow bordered on two sides by phrags and a small lake on the west side, and there is a lot of milkweed along the edges and other nectar sources such as clover around.  Almost everything I saw was common, but there was a LOT of activity there.

Best thing I saw was 2, maybe 3 Common Buckeyes.  There were Orange and Clouded Sulphurs everywhere, I'd guess over 100 of each, probably 20 or so Cabbages, 20 or so Pearl Crescents, 5 Least Skippers, a couple of Peck's Skippers and 15 - 20 Monarchs.  I spent an hour and a half exploring and taking photos, and I wish I had more time as I didn't even cover more than about half the area.  A pretty neat spot.

Jamie Meyers
Canton, CT