Hooded Warblers (5) at Bent + butterflies

semismart9 at aol.com semismart9 at aol.com
Fri May 8 17:16:37 EDT 2009

Today at Bent of the River in Southbury, I was joined by Al Ericson from Bethlehem.??There were 5 male Hooded Warblers all trying to impress 1 female Hooded. Talk about territory fights. This all happened behind the red barn, up in the old apple orchard.? Also there today were Veery and my FOY Eastern Wood-pewee.

The cedar fields were again home to many Prairie Warblers, 4 Blue-winged Warblers, singing Field Sparrows and 3 Indigo Buntings.

When I was leaving, I had a nice mixed kettle of raptors: 4 Turkey Vultures, 2 Red-tailed Hawks, 1 Cooper's Hawk and up on top, 3 Broadwing Hawks. Just outside of the mixture was 1 Red-shouldered Hawk who could not decide to join or not.

Butterfly wise, I also had 3 Eastern Tiger Swallowtails, 3 Juvenal's Duskywings, 5 Cabbage Whites, 2 Clouded Sulphurs, 1 Eastern Tailed Blue and 1 Spring Azure.

Bill Banks
Seymour