Great Butterflying Spot

Wagner, David david.wagner at uconn.edu
Thu May 28 18:22:44 EDT 2009

Ryan Wagner and Mike Passamano discovered a super butterflying spot in Killingly yesterday.  They walked the NU powerline from Route 12 to Interstate 395.

They had over 20 species of butterflies over a two hour period.  Significant sightings included Frosted Elfin, Henry's Elfin, Indian Skipper, Cobweb Skipper, Dusted Skipper, Gray Hairstreak, and three-five species of Duskywings.  Amazingly: all three species of clearwing sphinxes were flying together, mostly nectaring on two flowering azaleas, although the slender clearwing (State Threatened) tended to nectar more on low bush blueberry.  The walk includes an amazing stand of lupine with Frosted Elfins, adjacent to Killingly Substation.

And, yes, Laura, we will submit our rare-animal forms promptly.

Cheers to all--enjoy.

Dave