Butterfly trip - Trumbull + wild flowers etc

semismart9 at aol.com semismart9 at aol.com
Sun May 31 15:35:30 EDT 2009

Today, Sunday 05-31-2009, a total of 18 people joined in at the Trumbull Nature Center for the C B A trip. The weather was good for the day, with just about 10% clouds cover, and a breeze to keep the bugs away. We did not see a lot of different species of butterflies, but what we did see, we say very well, with almost all caught in nets and placed in cases for close looks.

The list is as follows:
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail...?2?
Spicebush Swallowtail... 1
Eastern Tailed Blue... 6
Pearl Crescent... 1
American Lady... 1
Little Wood-Satyr... 250++
Common Sootywing... 2
Long Dash... 25+

?In addition to the above butterflies, we also had an ASHY CLUBTAIL Dragonfly, a life species for at least 3 of us, confirmed by the Terminal Appendages, thanks to Mike Moccia and Bill VanLoan.

Because this is a Nature area, we also have a list of 20 wild flowers, thanks to Eileen Van Loan and Wanda Moccio. That list is as follows:
Wild Geranium.../ Milkweed( No flowers yet).../ Blue Eyed Grass.../ Lady Slipper.../ Yarrow.../ Wild Strawberry.../ Stitchwort.../ Common Chickweed.../ Red Clover.../ Yellow Cinquefoil.../ Yellow-Eyed Grass.../ Bluets.../ Orange Hawkweed.../ Yellow Hawkweed.../ Golden Ragwort.../ Thyme Leaf Speedwell.../ Flowering Rasberry.../ Buttercup.../ Yellow Field Clover.../ Joe pie-weed.../

Other things of note:??3 Broadwing Hawks over head, Little Blue Heron by the pond, thanks to Tina Green, and a special thanks to Ruth Moir for the Lemonade, cookies and the Butterfly Garden tour.

Bill Banks- Seymour