Little Yellow, Westport, 7 Aug.

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 7 23:18:01 EDT 2010

>From Frank Mantlik
8/7 Westport, Compo Beach - About 12:45 I saw a LITTLE YELLOW flying around the
northwest side of the park, near the small sailboats.  Having never seen one
before, I remembered Steve Spector's report of one in coastal Milford a week or
two ago.  I followed this small, bright yellow, low-flying lep around for about
5 minutes until it finally landed.   I then could see the distinctive dark
(brown) smudge near the margin of the underwing, and a few other small dots
elsewhere.  I don't know how rare this species is, but unfortunately I didn't
have my camera with me at the time.