Sachems

Emmayct at cs.com Emmayct at cs.com
Tue Aug 17 20:54:11 EDT 2010

Within the last few days, I have seen quite a few Sachems in my Niantic
yard.  They seem to favor the Safari Marigolds and the Swamp Milkweed.  They
are very interested in mating and put on quite a show..whirling about in
persuit of the females.

Monarchs are also still acting territorially..I spent a good hour this
afternoon watching the pecking order in the garden. Monarchs, American Ladies,
Bumblebees, and Humming birds all taking turns chasing off the interlopers.
It's funny to watch a hummer being chased by a Monarch..being chased by a
bee.

Also  a Red Spotted Purple on the white butterfly bush ( a favorite for the
RSP) many Tiger Swallowtails, the resident Silver Spotted Skippers...who
are also very terrritorial.

Maryann in Niantic

</HTML>