breaking news!!!

RChyinski at aol.com RChyinski at aol.com
Sat Aug 21 15:20:09 EDT 2010

I saw a Hairstreak (Gray) today!! It was the 4th or 5th Hairstreak I have
seen this year.
What has happened to the Hairstreak population in CT? Two or three years
ago in July I would walk the trail around the main field at Walden and see
100+  Hairstreaks. This year  during the July 3 & 4 walks at Walden no
Hairstreaks were seen. There was only one species of Hairstreaks seen on the
Salisbury count and no Hairstreaks were seen on the Flaherty count.
I would be interested to know the number of Hairstreaks seen on the other
CT counts.
I do not think this is a one year happening as I recall last  years
sightings were also down. Were Hairstreak numbers down in the 2009  counts also?

other sightings today and yesterday
Tiger and Spicebush Swallowtails
Clouded Sulphur
Cabbage White
Amer. Copper
Tailed Blue
Summer Azure
Great Spangled Frit
Pearl Crescent
Amer Lady
Red Admiral
Red Spotted Purple
Monarch
Common Wood Nymph
Sliver Spotted Skipper
The Pipevine caterpillars are approx 1/4" long and still on the very small
plants. Have counted approx 20 caterpillars.

Rich Chyinski